Big changes coming July 1, 2021!
The Ontario government has changed the legislation (Housing Services Act, 2011 – Ontario Regulation 316/19 Determination of Geared-to-income Rent under Section 50 of the Act) to simplify the rent-geared-to-income program.
What does this mean for our tenants?
- Less paperwork to hand in each year – watch for new annual household review packages in the mail
- Rent charges remain the same for 12 months making it easier to budget
- Mid-year changes in your rent are allowed only in certain situations and only once per year
- You must file your tax return each year to remain eligible for subsidy
- Changes in your household income or occupancy still must be reported within 30 days but may not affect your rent calculation until your lease renewal
- Income for all full-time students is exempt
- Child support income is now exempt
Between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022, all households will have their RGI calculation reviewed using the new rules. You will be required to submit your most recent Notice of Assessment or Proof of Income Statement. Both are available online or call the Canada Revenue Agency to have a copy mailed to you – 1-800-267-6999 or log in to My Account on the CRA website.
Questions? Please call your PMA, either Clair ext. 113 or Kyra ext. 116. They are here to help you!
Residents of Norfolk County call 519-426-7792
Residents of Haldimand County call 1-800-265-2819